Walter Salvatore, Silvia Caprili, Irene Puncello
University of Pisa, Department of Civil and Industrial Engineering
This module deals with curved profiles. This kind of profiles it is usually obtained thanks to three different curvature processes: roll forming, crushing of the inner flange and in situ bending. Only profiles achieved through roll forming process have been analysed inside GRISPE project. The aim of the project is to investigate the modification of the structural performance (bearing capacity) of the curved profile with respect to flat profiles. Two different configurations have been analysed: the single span configuration without horizontal supports and the single span configuration with horizontal supports. In the first one, the profile is stressed only by bending actions while in the second one it behaves like an arch and it is stressed by a combination of bending moments and axial forces. For both the configurations, new formulation for the evaluation of the bearing capacity have been proposed. The results of experimental tests and numerical analyses performed to achieve the elaboration of simplified formulations are presented.
After the module, you will be able to …
- … remember the three main ways to achieve a curved profile
- … comprehend: How to adapt the DIN formulation to the case of curved profiles with horizontally fixed restrains
- … apply: After the module, you will be able to have the possibility to design curved profiles through the use of simple formulations based on experimental results.
- … analyse: After the module, you will be able to model and analyse the structural performance in different static configurations of curved profiles.
- … synthesize: Understand the configuration, estimate the bending capacity of the flat profile.
- … evaluate the difference in the bearing capacity by increasing the curvature radius on the profile, in the case of curved profiles subjected only to bending action.